Friday, May 13, 2016

Ray Bradbury


Ray Bradbury

Last week’s post featuring some thoughts from a favorite author luminary led me to this week’s post. I’ll get back to etymologies and such next week, but for now, I hope you’ll have a good time with the ever-prolific & fascinating Ray Bradbury.

Born in 1929 & leaving this universe as we know it in 2012, author of 500 works, Ray Bradbury won the Pulitzer Prize Special Citation, the National Medal of Arts, & the National Book Foundation Medal, & tons more. Known best as a science fiction novelist & short story author whose stories always valued character above technology, Bradbury also wrote TV scripts, poems, screenplays & plays. Here is a tiny sampling of his thoughts:

“We are an impossibility in an impossible universe.”

“You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance.”

“We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.”

&

“Every morning I jump out of bed and step on a landmine. The landmine is me. After the explosion I spend the rest of the day putting the pieces together.”


I’m hoping some of you might choose a quote from above & have something to say about it in the comments section.

Big thanks to this week’s sources: RayBradbury.com, SearchQuotes, BrainyQuote, &  Quotes.net -  
photo from FamousAuthors.org

6 comments:

  1. Hi Charlie. Have always loved Bradbury's stories, and recently began admiring him even more as an exemplary human being, after reading a collection of interviews with authors and their writing practices. He lived so simply, was satisfied with so little. Also got into a lot of research on him recently, since a friend in Solvang thought he had once lived in the Santa Ynez Valley (No; lived in same house in LA most of his adult life). Also, when I was a reporter, had the pleasure of talking to him on phone when a store in Cambria, Fahrenheit 451, with painted flames on its exterior, was causing some controversy. (Lee Sutter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahoy Lee - I've been a fan of his since my "discovery" of Illustrated Man so many moons ago. Thanks for chiming in.

      Delete
  2. "Something Wicked This Way Comes" is one of my all time favorite books. I met Mr. Bradbury once and told him that that book helped me to understand what it was like to be a boy. He smiled and nodded at me as if to say, "But of course, and you are welcome." Thank you for the quotes. He had such a way of seeing the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy Christine -- I guess with three grandkids who happen to be boys, it may be time to review Something Wicked... Thanks for popping by.

      Delete
  3. Charlie, this is such a fun topic. I have a fav. Ray Bradbury quote I refer to often. Hope it's okay to include: "There is only one type of story in the world—your story."
    —Ray Bradbury

    It may be in your post already. Don't think so. I think it speaks to the fact that writers write for all sorts of reasons and everyone's life experience has value. In any case, that's how I'm interpreting it today. Thanks for another great post, my friend. Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul - Great quote, & thanks for adding it to the mix. What was I thinking doing one little blog post on someone as prolific & insightful as Bradbury? The guy deserves a universe!

      Delete