Thursday, February 15, 2018

Cacophony

Cacophony

Since wallowing in the wonder of Norton Juster’s The Phantom Tollbooth back when I was knee-high to a grasshopper, I’ve loved the onomatopoeic words cacophony & cacophonous - wonderfully honest words that sound like what they mean. At the time I was probably a nine- or ten-year-old boy with all the disgusting proclivities of that tribe. How the younger me would’ve loved to have known the etymology of cacophony.

The last part isn’t all that titillating: -phony comes from the Greek word for sound. The first part, though, comes from the Proto-Indo-European word *kakka-, which meant defecation. And yes, this same root traveled through Spanish to give us caca.

It also gave us these cacophonous cousins:

Cachexia, meaning a generally bad state of health appeared in English in the mid-1500s.

Poorly chosen or incorrect taxonomic names of organisms are known as caconyms, a term that’s been around since 1888.

Poppycock, which appeared in 1865 through Dutch, meaning nonsense.

And since the 1500s, bad handwriting or spelling has been known as cacography.

Kakistocracy, coined in 1829 by Thomas Peacock, meaning government by the worst element of a society.


So readers, did you know about these caca-related words? 




My thanks go out to this week’s sources: the Merriam Webster, OED, Wordnik, Oxford Dictionary, & Etymonline.

8 comments:

  1. No caca? I had no idea that these words really came from a root word meaning poop. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne - I'm glad to find a well-educated pal didn't know about this connection. It took me by complete surprise. And thanks once more for coming by.

      Delete
  2. Ah, Kakistocracy, I was wondering what to call what the United States of Trump hath stumbled upon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we have a chap named Peacock to thank for this word. Pretty cool. Thanks for coming by, Steve.

      Delete
  3. I love Poppycock. I should use it more often. A couple of these I have not heard before and they are wonderful. And...sadly Kakistocracy is too appropriate for our current situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Christine - Thanks for coming by. I agree on both counts -- poppycock is a great word (that I would never have guessed had its roots in caca) & we do appear to be presently ruled by a kakistocracy. Hopefully, time will continue to be relentless, & this too shall pass.

      Delete
  4. I'm with Christine - what a lovely, Anglophilic sounding word is "poppycock" - something Maggie Smith would say in Downtown Abbey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Baxter! I agree -- very Downton Abbey-esque.

    ReplyDelete