Thursday, June 13, 2019

Wise women on loss

Wise women on loss

Many people don’t notice that quotation books & quote sites on the web are almost entirely dominated by quotes of men. This is a loss. In my continuing efforts toward inclusivity, here’s a collection of wise women’s words on loss.

Absence becomes the greatest Presence.
-May Sarton 

I still miss those I loved who are no longer with me but I find I am grateful for having loved them. The gratitude has finally conquered the loss.
-Rita Mae Brown

No emotion is the final one.
-Jeanette Winterson

Those who don’t know how to weep with their whole heart don’t know how to laugh either.
-Golda Meir

There are some griefs so loud
They could bring down the sky,
And there are griefs so still
None knows how deep they lie.
-May Sarton

Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the day-time, and falling into at night. I miss you like hell.
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

Grass grows at last above all graves.
-Julia C.R. Dorr

When you’re away i feel like
i’m only wearing one shoe.
Alta

I hope you’ve found a quote you hadn’t previously appreciated. If so, please spread it around.





3 comments: