Thursday, March 1, 2018

There's not a word for it

There’s not a word for it

Writers are always trying to shake it up vocabulary-wise so we don’t annoy readers by overusing a particular word. I’ve no idea how many serious discussions I’ve heard involving the search for a synonym for nod.

So what words fall in this category of having no single-word synonym? It seems there’s some buzz in the ether over the subject, but not much. The only thing word-enthusiasts seem to have agreed on is the uncreative, yet clear & honest label for such words — asynonyms. 

Here is a collection of asynonymous words posited here and there:

Everyday nouns like:
peach
broccoli
spinach
badger
iguana
slug
nod (also a verb)

Some nearly everyday verbs:
obviate
skip (a series of small jumps moving from one foot to the other) 

Specific science- & math-related words like:
gastroenterologist
otolaryngologist
appendectomy
isosceles
parallel

Some scarcely-heard tongue-twisters:
sphygmomanometer (the only one-word English label for a blood-pressure monitor)
agelast (a person who never laughs)
petrichor (the sound of rain hitting the hard ground)

Given my interests, I would add to the list the word etymologist. Good readers, given your interests, what asynonymous words would you add to the list?


My thanks go out to this week’s sources: the 

7 comments:

  1. I guess you've saved us from driving ourselves nuts and running for the sphygmomanometer after trying to find synonyms for these words. I have to admit that agelast and petrichor are new to me. Very cool to learn them while listening to the petrichor outside my window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd suggest -- splash! and wham! and me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent -- a lot of onomatopoeic erodes belong on the list, as do almost all pronouns.

      Delete
  3. We're getting a lot of petrichoriousness right now down here on the south-facing coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Het Steve - given the situation in your neighborhood, I imagine you have more petrichorophobes than petrichoriphiles. Stay safe.

      Delete