Thursday, May 24, 2018

Arabic idioms

Arabic idioms

I hope you’ll enjoy these Arabic idioms.

cut from the tree = a person who has no family

son of Adam = respectable person

this is my measuring bucket, not yours = mind your own business

the carpenter’s door is loose = the shoemaker’s children are shoeless

you came & God brought you = you came at just the right time

one hand doesn’t clap = if this is to work, all parties must cooperate

the eye doesn’t go higher than the brow = a person can’t rise above his/her given status

it takes the mind = it inspires awe

I have no camel in the caravan = this matter doesn’t concern me

the belly-dancer dies, but her waist still moves = habits are difficult to break

call the one-eyed man one-eyed = speak straight

to eat one’s head = to be overly insistent

he ate a wooden wedge = someone talked badly about him

movement is a blessing = exercise is good

the latest bunch of grapes = the most recently born & therefore favored child


Enjoying idioms? Check out these related posts:


And if you’re inspired, feel free to leave a comment. I love hearing from you.



My thanks go out to this week’s sources: Omniglot, Matador Network, EnglishIdiomsAndExpressions, Hussein Maxos, & Barakabits.

4 comments:

  1. I love the one about the camel. I need to use that in conversation sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne -- I'm with you. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  2. I love that the belly dancer's belly keeps dancing. And movement is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine -- Indeed. A shame it's tough for many of us suburban Americans to remember that movement is a blessing (he said while sitting in front of his keyboard).

      Delete