Thursday, March 29, 2018

Kindness

Kindness

Here at Wordmonger, we’re celebrating the last three weeks of March by focusing on wise women’s words. March 15 we considered progress. March 22 we pondered lying. This week we’ll take a look at what some wise women had/have to say about kindness.

When the milk of human kindness turns sour, it is a singularly unpalatable draught.
Agnes Repplier

If you stop to be kind, you must swerve often from your path.
Mary Webb

When kindness has left people, even for a few moments, we become afraid of them, as if their reason has left them.
Willa Cather

Kindness is always fashionable.
Amelia E. Barr

I prefer you to make mistakes in kindness than work miracles in unkindness.
Mother Teresa

So many gods, so many creeds,
So many paths that wind and wind,
While just the art of being kind,
Is all the sad world needs.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox

May you take every opportunity to spread some kindness.



My thanks go out to this week’s sources: The New Beacon Book of Quotations by Women., Oxford Dictionary, & Etymonline.

7 comments:

  1. What wonderful reminders that kindness is always the best path. When I hear so many cruel political pundits talk as if kindness were a political position, I despair for our culture. Thanks, Mr. Monger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Culture despairers unite! Thanks - again - for dropping by.

      Delete
  2. I have also observed the temporary loss of sanity, as I in Willa Cather's quote. At least I hope it's temporary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Leslie Rae -- thanks for coming by. And I'm with you. Temporary is a good thing when it comes to the loss of sanity.

      Delete
  3. Lovely. If only it were true that kindness were always fashionable. I fear it is quite out of fashion there days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine -- I'm thinking fashion is in the eye of the beholder. If most of us behold kindness as fashionable, perhaps we can nudge the world just a bit.

      Delete
    2. You are right. I have a bumper sticker on my car that reads, "Humankindness, be both" I hope it gives people a little nudge.

      Delete