Thursday, September 21, 2017

Paul Fahey

Paul Fahey

Often, we crazy humans don’t acknowledge the wonders of those around us until they pass away. Since my friend Paul just passed away, I suppose I’m doing that right here. Still, I’m confident in saying that people have been appreciating the wonders of Paul for decades.

This week’s post will consider the etymologies of some of the words people have been describing Paul with for years.

Supportive appeared in the 1590s from the verb support through Old French from a Latin word meaning to convey, carry or bring up. 

Talented showed up in English in the 1630s. It came from the word talent, which has been around since the 1200s, meaning inclination, will, or desire. It came from Greek through Latin & Old French, & originally meant a balance, a pair of scales, or anything of weight

Encouraging came to English in the 1400s from the word courage, which was born of an Old French word meaning innermost feelings, heart.

Gracious made its way to English in the 1300s from a Proto-Indo-European root meaning to favor. One of gracious’s English meanings is merciful & benevolent.

Kind made its way to us through Proto-Germanic & Old English. When the word kind appeared in Modern English in the 1400s,  it meant benign, compassionate, loving, full of tenderness.

One of the conversations Paul & I regularly shared over the years had to do with the word mensch, a person of strength & honor. We share(d) the goal of working toward what we called menschhood. Mensch came to English in 1907 through Yiddish from a German word meaning human. Mensch’s Proto-Indo-European root was *manna-, which isn’t related to manna from heaven, but I would submit that having a mensch in one’s life, like having Paul Fahey in one’s life, is indeed, manna. I miss him.

Paul was a prolific writer, editor, & LGBTQ advocate. I hope those of you who didn’t know Paul might follow a link or two to get to know him through his books, & those of you who did know Paul might remember him with a smile. 

     
 




Big thanks to this week’s sources: the OED, Etymonline, Collins Dictionary, Merriam Webster, & Wordnik.

10 comments:

  1. He was all this and more. One of the world's great souls. Giving, kind, brilliant--a light in the darkness. I miss him more than I can say. Thanks for this lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks to you for being another in the Big Heap of Paul Fahey fans.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this lovely tribute. I didn't know him for as long as many in our writer community, yet he always greeted me and treated me like an old friend. A sweet, tender soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sweet & tender soul, indeed. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  3. Although I have never met him, Paul gave our family a cherished memory by (at the suggestion of Charlie Perryess) publishing in Mindprints an article my 5th grade son wrote about being born to a father who had Multiple Sclerosis. I have always been grateful to Paul for giving voice to what it means to live with disability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow -- Thanks so much -- I'm guessing that would be Grant & this would be Patricia. And you're right -- Paul was a grand guy.

      Delete
  4. Paul was an amazing person on so many levels. So lucky and happy to have had him in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Victoria - Thanks for coming by & joining me in this digital toast of a stellar human being.

      Delete
  5. Such a loving man! Miss you.

    ReplyDelete