Thursday, May 3, 2018

Swedish idioms

Swedish idioms

Idioms always give me a smile. I hope these Swedish ones and their English equivalents do the same for you:

To make a hen out of a feather  = to make a mountain out of a molehill 

Suspecting owls in the bog  =  something fishy’s going on

Crossing the river to get water = doing something in a roundabout fashion 

Caught with his beard in the mailbox = caught with his pants down

Shame walks on dry land = immorality wins the day 

Don’t buy the pig while it’s still in the bag  =  don’t get a pig in the poke

Don’t sell the skin before the bear is shot  = don’t count your chickens before they hatch

There’s a dog buried here = there’s more to this than meets the eye

Pull one’s nose = pull one’s leg

I’ll get you for old cheese = revenge will be mine

Like a cat around hot porridge = fidgety & difficult about it

Gnomes in the attic = bats in the belfry

The cream on the mash = the icing on the cake

No cow on the ice = no immediate danger



If any of these struck your fancy, please let me know in the comments section.




My thanks go out to this week’s sources: Lost in Stockholm, Doctor Spin, Omniglot, & English Forums

6 comments:

  1. He's got his rump in the butter dish = Well, doesn't he have money to burn

    I love "ingen ko på isen"! Also coming from a rural area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings & welcome Gabriella,
      Big thanks for the rump in the butter dish. That's brilliant. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  2. These are so fun. Interesting we have the same one about pigs in bags. (I understand a "poke" is a sack of some kind.) My favorites here are the owls in the bog and the gnomes in the attic. I think I may have to adopt the gnomes one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anne -- I believe everyone Camilla meets has a few gnomes in the attic! Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  3. Those Swedes have very creative imaginations! I also love the gnomes in the attic. I feel like I have a few wandering around in mine these days. And they are making a lot of noise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Lately my gnomes are having a party. Thanks for popping by.

      Delete